Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
Toronto Maple Leafs (@MapleLeafs) August 13, 2014
• Gene Simmons then promptly slapped a Kiss sticker on the jerseys and sold them on the band’s website.
• Dallas Eakins on hiring Tyler Dellow: “I think the criticism of Tyler has been his ability to challenge people forcefully in a conversation and defend what he believes in. But I’ve got no problem with that. I like that he’s got a goddamn opinion. That’s what you need when you’re in these meetings.” [Globe and Mail]
• A monument outside of Air Canada Centre will be built featuring three former Toronto Maple Leafs, with the first name revealed on Thursday. More will be added leading up to the franchise’s 100th anniversary in 2017. Any guesses who will be among the first three? Wendel Clark? Mats Sundin? Allan Bester? [Toronto Sun]
• Speaking of old Maple Leafs, members of their Stanley Cup-winning teams of the 1960s will receive rings during a special ceremony next month. [TSN]
• Bryan Trottier on joining Ted Nolan’s staff in Buffalo: “My message for the young guys coming into camp is bring your best game. Bring your best game at the practice, bring your best game come gametime and we’re going to build a confidence/ We’re going to build a real consistency here so when you step on the ice, you’re building good habits.” [Sabres]
• Facts about jersey changes for the coming season, plus some rumors of what teams might wear in the future. [Icethetics]
• Philadelphia Flyers GM Ron Hextall on trading Scott Hartnell: “The one thing I'll never do is I'll never not do something because a guy is a popular player. I've got to do what's best for this franchise and sometimes that's not the popular thing. Scotty was a good Flyer. He's a good player. He's still a good player. It's just one of those things that I felt was right for the franchise, so I went forward with it. But, yeah, that was one of those ones that tugs at you.” [NJ.com]
• The salary cap is going to continue going up until the next lockout, so what’s the most a team should spend on a single player? [WtYKY]
• We all know about the fashion prowess of Henrik Lundqvist, but could one of his teammates threaten the King’s crown in that department? [NY Rangers Blog]
• Last month, a 16-year old junior hockey player committed suicide. His family believes his suffering eight concussions played a role in his eventual death. [Buzzing the Net]
• Eddie Olczyk’s kid joins the Utica College men’s hockey staff. [Observer-Dispatch]
• Your fantasy hockey draft is today, who are you taking: Jack Johnson or Cam Fowler? [Dobber Hockey]
• Finally, the NHL 15 demo will be out on Aug. 26, and during Gamescom on Tuesday another trailer was released: