The United States defeated Slovenia 5-1 on Sunday and have won Group A. Here are five things we learned:
• The Kessels are enjoying Sochi. Phil and Amanda have been wreaking havoc on opposing goaltenders in the men’s and women’s tournaments. With a hat trick against Slovenia Phil has seven points (4 goals, 3 assists) in three games as the men advanced to the quarterfinals with a bye. Meanwhile, Amanda heads into the women’s semifinal on Monday against Sweden with 2 goals and 2 assists. Phil's hat trick was the first by a U.S. Olympian since John LeClair tallied one in 2002 in Salt Lake City.
• U.S. will finish no. 2 or 3 overall. Because they needed a shootout on Saturday to defeat Russia, the U.S. did not earn maximum points from their three games. That means Sweden’s three regulation wins give the top spot for now. The no. 1 overall seed will go to either the Swedes, Canada or Finland. The bottom six are set with Switzerland, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Austria, Slovakia, Latvia and Norway. The U.S. will next play on Wednesday.
• Ryan Miller edges closer to history. Making his first start since the 2010 gold medal game in Vancouver, Miller made 17 saves and came within 18 seconds of earning a shutout. It was his sixth Olympic win, tying him with Jim Craig and putting him one behind Jack McCartan's seven (1960) for the most in USA Hockey history.
• Anze Kopitar was not injured for the third period. According to his father and Slovenia head coach, Matjaz, Kopitar missed the final period with what is suspected to be a stomach bug. Via Helene Elliott of the LA Times: "He just didn't feel good. Something with the stomach. He was without the power. Hopefully he's going to be better."
• Slovenia avoided Nike's terrible designs. Yes, they’re wearing Nike jerseys, but how did Slovenia avoid having them ruined with weird designs around the neck and bland colors? Sure, they were given those fake laminated laces, but between the blue jerseys they wore Sunday vs. the U.S. and the lime green numbers featured on their whites, Slovenia has looked the best in Sochi.
- - - - - - -