UPDATE: No charges filed against Maurice Jones-Drew for nightclub altercation

On Tuesday morning, TMZ.com wrote that according to a police report, Jacksonville Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew was charged with battery at a club in St. Augustine, Fla.

“We are aware of the situation regarding Maurice Jones-Drew and are in the process of gathering more information," the team said in a statement. "Due to this being a legal matter, we’ll have no further comment at this time.”

Adisa Bakari, Jones' agent, said that his client was not involved in the incident. “Maurice was there and was not involved," Bakari told ESPN's Adam Schefter. "As soon as an altercation broke out, Maurice exited the premises."

Bakari also told Schefter that he expected a second police report to exonerate Jones-Drew, and according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, that has happened.

"We have confirmed with the St. Augustine Police Department that no charges have been filed against Maurice and that the matter is under investigation," Bakari told Rapoport. "While Maurice was present when the events in question began, he quickly departed the premises immediately thereafter. Maurice was not involved in any physical altercation, whatsoever."

The St. Augustine Police Department issued a statement further explaining where things stand now.

"The St. Augustine Police Department has taken a notarized statement of Misdemeanor Battery against Jacksonville Jaguar player Maurice Jones-Drew that stemmed from an altercation at the Conch House on Sunday, May 26, 2013. Jones-Drew has not been charged with any crime and maintains his innocence. He is cooperating fully with our investigation.

According to the first police report (or, at least, TMZ's take on the police report), Jones allegedly punched a security guard at the Conch House club at the end of a larger altercation involving Jones' party.

According to the police report, witnesses say ... MJD's buddy was told by security to stop touching a young female. The buddy allegedly "slapped" a security guard on his chest ... and a melee ensued.

One of the security guards reportedly put MJD's friend in a headlock to stop the fight ... and that's when MJD stepped in and clocked the guard.

After the incident, the security guard spoke with police -- and cops noted that the guy's jaw was "swollen a great deal and had a large lump on his jaw bone."

The security guard was hospitalized after the incident -- and doctors found contusions and a bone bruise, but no broken bones.

Jones, a seven-year NFL veteran who led the NFL in rushing yards with 1,606 yards in 2011, had no known criminal history before this alleged incident. He missed the final 10 games of the 2012 season with a foot injury. He has not participated in the team's OTAs, but hopes to be ready for training camp.

What to Read Next