Police search Aaron Hernandez’s home for over three hours

Brian McIntyre
Shutdown Corner

Nearly a dozen law enforcement officers, including a K-9 unit, searched the North Attleboro, Mass. home of New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez for over three hours on Saturday afternoon, exiting shortly after 5 p.m. ET with about 10 paper bags, Mike Rodak of ESPN Boston reports.

Hernandez has not been placed under arrest, though there are multiple reports that there is a "paper warrant", believed to be on a charge of obstruction of justice, that Massachusetts State police have not yet executed.

According to the Boston Globe, investigators arrived at Hernandez's home at 1:45 p.m. ET. During the course of the search, officers exited the home to retrieve a pry bar and more evidence bags. An hour into the search, a local locksmith arrived on scene and was directed into the residence. That locksmith left Hernandez's home a short time later and did not provide comment about why he was summoned to the scene. Police also conducted a search of Hernandez's white Audi SUV, which was parked in the driveway.

Two hours into the search, Hernandez's attorney, Michael Fee of Boston law firm Ropes and Gray, arrived and entered the house.

Police even search a structure in Hernandez's backyard that was initially described by Kevin Armstrong of the New York Daily News as a dog house.

The mini-house in the backyard is appears to be a doll house or a play house, which would make sense as the home's previous owner, former Patriots defensive lineman Ty Warren, had four young daughters when he lived there.

Hernandez is the central figure in the police's investigation into the murder of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, a Dorchester, Mass. native and associate of Hernandez's who police believe was killed by a gunshot to the head sometime between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m. on Monday, June 17. Lloyd body was found by a jogger at 5:30 p.m. ET on Monday in an industrial park located less than a mile from Hernandez's home. Lloyd reportedly dated the sister of Hernandez's fiancee and was with Hernandez in the hours leading up to his death.

Police have obtained multiple search warrants for Hernandez's home, including one based on evidence that Hernandez had intentionally destroyed his home's surveillance system, as well as the cell phone that his attorney turned over to investigators. Hernandez also allegedly hired a "team of house cleaners" on Monday.

What to Read Next