It appears that competition is over.
Vick informed reporters on Thursday the Jets will not have an “open competition” at quarterback this offseason, according to NYDailyNews.com. Last year, Vick competed against Nick Foles in Philadelphia, but does not believe he will have the same opportunity this season.
“Going through the competition with Nick, we knew both of us coming in that it was open competition and the best guy was going to win the job,” Vick told NYDailyNews.com. “Pretty much cut and dry This situation is different. It’s kind of unique. Even though it’s not an open competition, we’re both competing every day.”
In fact, Vick said if he and Smith are equal, his competitor will probably will start.
“Yeah I would assume that Geno would be the starter (in that case),” Vick told NYDailyNews.com.
It is hard to believe Vick is ready to throw in the towel right now.
Jets coach Rex Ryan may need to make the playoffs to save his job. The acquisition of Vick this offseason was necessary after Smith threw 12 touchdowns, 21 interceptions and fumbled eight times (lost four). Vick is not the same quarterback he was years ago in Atlanta. However, the Jets may prefer to have a player under center who does not commit turnovers.
Even if Smith wins the job, he will probably be on a short leash. Vick is injury prone, but is a solid option if Smith struggles again. Considering Smith was benched last season after playing poorly, Vick may not stand on the sidelines for long this year.
- - - - - - -