Aaron Hernandez’s attorney issues statement

Brian McIntyre
Shutdown Corner

Michael Fee of Boston law firm Ropes and Gray, who are representing New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez, issued the following statement on Monday night.

"Over the past week, our client, Aaron Hernandez, has been the subject of a relentless flood of rumors, misinformation, and false reports in the media. These include the repeated publication of a supposedly confirmed report that an arrest warrant had been issued for Aaron, a report that was exposed as untrue. None of these false reports come from official sources and we appreciate the professionalism and restraint shown by the Bristol County District Attorney’s Office to date with regard to its public statements while its investigation is underway.

"Out of respect for that ongoing investigation, we will continue to refrain from commenting on its substance."

The Massachusetts State police appear focused on Hernandez in their investigation into the murder of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, an associate of Hernandez's who was killed on Monday, June 17 and whose body was found by a jogger in an industrial park less than a mile from Hernandez's home in North Attleboro, Mass. Hernandez and Lloyd, a semi-pro football player who reportedly dated the sister of Hernandez's fiancee, were reportedly together in the hours leading up to Lloyd's death.

There were multiple reports late last week that an arrest warrant for obstruction of justice had been issued, but that has not been confirmed by the Attleboro District Court. Several search warrants have been issued and authorities spent most of Saturday afternoon searching Hernandez's home, exiting with about 10 bags of what appeared to be evidence.

Following a quiet Sunday, there was more activity in the homicide investigation on Monday. State Police searched a stream near Hernandez's home for "evidence", but the Boston Globe reports that nothing was found.

Hernandez was last seen in public last Thursday when his trip to Gillette Stadium, and a subsequent visit to his lawyer's office on Boylston Street in Boston was tracked by several news helicopters. Hernandez returned to his home last Friday and has remained inside the $1.3 million mansion ever since.

What to Read Next