Terrell Suggs is hyped for Sunday night's Baltimore Ravens vs. Pittsburgh Steelers game and he wants to make sure you are too. The Ravens linebacker participated in a 15-minute conference call on Wednesday with Pittsburgh reporters and also spoke to Baltimore writers and talked up the game like he was Don King and Sunday was the Thrilla in Manila. Suggs begged Hines Ward to play, gave credit to Pittsburgh and advised refs not to throw any penalty flags for late hits.
As a Redskins fan living 30 minutes from Baltimore, I'm predisposed to loathe all things Ravens. Listening to Suggs for 15 minutes is almost enough to make me change my mind. Almost. Here are his 11 best quotes. Sunday night can't come soon enough.
• "We have been declared war upon. We are the enemy of the state."
• "[Heinz Field] is my Madison Square Garden. I love playing in this stadium, I love the way the people treat me, the welcoming they give me with the No. 1's. I love it. We're going on the road in probably the toughest stadium to play in the NFL. We're expecting a physical football game. This is football."
• "I'm looking right at you 86. I need you to play. Please put on that 86, that smile and all the things you do. We need all that for this game."
• "They're definitely going to have some 'Let's get after them' to their game. But in hindsight, who knocked us out of the playoffs last year? In 2008, a certain team beat us to go to the Super Bowl, and danced all over the field, held up the AFC Championship trophy. We had to sit by and watch that. There's a little salt in the wound on both sides." [Note: Sounds like there's only salt in one side's wound.]
• "We know what this game's about. [Expletive] it. Let's do it."
• "I love all those guys, of course. There's nobody I hate. Come on now. I'm a Baltimore Raven and you ask me do I hate anybody in Pittsburgh. I think you gotta answer that question yourself."
• "The defense is a means of survival in every division if you don't got the pretty boy from up north. If you don't got him, then you better have a good defense. And it showed last week that even that won't get it done for you."
• (On watching Pittsburgh beat Tom Brady and New England last week.) "It was a lose-lose game for me. I like when they hit him but, like I said, whatever the outcome of the game, I couldn't win."
• "Fifty-five is going to be on the field regardless, even if I got one shoulder."
• (On his earlier statement that he owned Ben Roethlisberger.) "[Thunderous laughter] No man owns anybody, but if there's anybody who can bring him down single-handedly by themselves, it's definitely me. But I'm pretty sure he has something in store to make sure I don't have a good day."
• "If a ref throws a flag of personal foul or illegal hitting, I think he's robbing the fans and he's robbing both teams. Let us play football. Let us all go in a room and lock the door."