WR Will Mahone no longer enrolled at Notre Dame following June arrest

WR Will Mahone no longer enrolled at Notre Dame following June arrest

A Notre Dame spokesman confirmed with the South Bend Tribune Monday that wide receiver Will Mahone, who was arrested last month and charged with three felonies, is no longer enrolled at the University.

Fighting Irish head coach Brian Kelly had initially indefinitely suspended the junior following his arrest last month.

Mahone’s attorney, James Gentile, told the Tribune that Mahone hopes to return to Notre Dame, but the school has told him that he cannot return “as long as the felony charges against him are pending.”

“That’s what the school has told him,” Gentile said. “If for some reason those felonies are reduced or something happens, then he’s free to reapply.”

Mahone’s arrest was one of the more colorful incidents of the college football offseason. In total, Mahone’s arrest resulted in five charges including assault of a police officer, intimidation of a public servant/party official, vandalism of a government entity, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

The incident took place on June 14 in Austintown, Ohio, Mahone’s hometown. Mahone, 20, was allegedly extremely intoxicated and was “head-butting and punching vehicles as well as trying to fight several people.” When police arrived, Mahone is said to have resisted multiple times and also cursed at and threatened police. As Mahone was being brought to a police car, police allege that he was “whipping his head back in an aggressive manner, striking an officer on his forehead.”

Mahone was then taken to the ground again and officers used a Taser after Mahone allegedly attempted to kick them. Police also say that Mahone, once he was placed in the police cruiser, kicked the window in the back seat and spat on the windows and seats.

After being transported to Mahoning County Justice Center, police say Mahone again threatened an officer, saying, “Bro, when I get out, I got a Glock 9 for your (expletive).”

According to the Tribune, Mahone appeared in court for a pre-trial hearing Monday evening. He entered not guilty pleas for his two misdemeanors and is not required to enter pleas for his three felonies until his July 23 preliminary hearing.

“He’s working hard. He’s doing a lot of things to straighten himself out. He’s working hard on himself right now,” Gentile said of Mahone. “He’s trying to understand what happened here and why it happened and maybe address some of the issues. That’s what he’s trying to do.”

Mahone was a four-star recruit in the class of 2012 who came to Notre Dame as a running back. He appeared in two games last year and recently moved from running back to slot receiver prior to his arrest.

For more Notre Dame news, visit IrishIllustrated.com.

- - - - - - -

Sam Cooper is a contributor for the Yahoo Sports blogs. Have a tip? Email him or follow him on Twitter!