Nevada freshman receiver Tucker Melcher is in the intensive care unit at Saint Mary’s Regional Medical Center in Reno, Nev., with an infection in his brain.
Melcher’s condition started out as what he believed was a sinus infection while he was hanging out with some friends in Southern California during spring break. However, his condition worsened and friends took him to three different emergency rooms in three days before deciding to take him home. When Melcher returned to Reno, he had a high fever and suffered two seizures.
“There’s brain swelling. It’s a waiting game,” Bubba Melcher, Tucker’s dad, told RGJ.com on Tuesday. “… The next three days are pretty hit and miss. Nobody knows how it happened.”
Bubba Melcher told the website his son was on a ventilator and had paralysis in his left arm and leg. A neurosurgeon told Bubba Melcher he thought the paralysis was temporary.
Nevada coach Brian Polian released a statement through the university saying he had known about the situation since Saturday and had visited Melcher. He also requested privacy for the family.
“The physical and mental toughness that Tucker has shown through this has been inspiring and will no doubt help him further as he continues to recover,” the statement said.
The thoughts and prayers of our program are with the Melcher family right now. I have no doubt that our community and our Wolf Pack fan base feels the same way.
Bubba Melcher warned people to pay more attention to what might be perceived as a simple sinus infection. He said doctors told him these types of bacterial infections have become more prevalent in the Reno area and that they should be treated before they becoming life-threatening situations.
“It’s a bigger strain of bacteria,” Bubba Melcher told RGJ.com. “It’s a 10- to 14-day deal. Nobody wants to go through what Tracy and I have. It’s a scary road.”
- - - - - - -