There was a name missing off Florida State’s signee list on Wednesday.
Brian Bell, a three-star linebacker out of Valdosta, Ga., had his scholarship offer revoked last week after Florida State decided it was in its best interest not pursue him. Bell was named last month in a $100 million wrongful death lawsuit that centers around Kendrick Johnson, a 17-year-old who was found dead inside a rolled-up mat in the Lowndes High gym in January 2013.
Johnson’s parents allege Bell, his brother and three other students were responsible for the death of their son.
The Lowndes County Sherriff's Department ruled Johnson’s death an accident, stating Johnson died of positional asphyxia after he got stuck in the mat while trying to retrieve his sneakers that were stored in the mat.
Bell was never charged with a crime or listed as a suspect during the investigation.
Lowndes High School coach Randy McPherson released a statement to the Valdosta Daily Times explaining the situation.
"Last Wednesday morning Coach Jimbo Fisher told me that the FSU Athletic Director and the President would not let him give Brian Bell a scholarship. We went to meet with the FSU President the next day. The next morning, Jimbo called me and told me that they still were not going to let him give Brian a scholarship."
Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher declined to comment about the situation, referring all questions to his administration.
Bell also had offers from Cincinnati, Clemson, Georgia Tech and Louisville. It is unknown whether the Bell family has been in contact with any of those other programs.
For more Florida State news, visit Warchant.com.
- - - - - - -
And don’t forget to keep up with all of Graham’s thoughts, witty comments and college football discussions on Facebook