Jimbo Fisher, FSU president release statements about off-field incidents

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
(Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)
(Photo by Stacy Revere/Getty Images)

After a tumultuous week in which one player was dismissed for punching a woman and another was indefinitely suspended for allegedly doing the same, Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher and school president John Thrasher each issued statements Friday evening.

Fisher pledged to “place a stronger emphasis” on educating his players on “appropriate behavior.” Here’s the statement, in full:

“Recent events at Florida State University involving members of my football team have brought a lot of attention to the school and program. It is important to me that our fans and the public be aware that I do not tolerate the type of behavior that was captured on video and that was most recently alleged. We spend a good deal of time educating our student-athletes about appropriate behavior and their responsibilities as representatives of Florida State. The majority of our players are exemplary, but clearly we must place an even stronger emphasis on this, and I personally promise we will.

I remain committed to educating our young men and holding them accountable for their actions.

Florida State is a great university. Our fans and supporters deserve better than to hear of actions that are not consistent with the school’s proud history and national stature.

We will do better. I will not tolerate anything less.”

Quarterback De’Andre Johnson was dismissed Monday after surveillance footage showed the freshman punching a woman in the face in a June 24 incident at a bar. Four days later, news emerged that standout running back Dalvin Cook would be charged with misdemeanor battery for allegedly punching a woman several times in a separate incident on June 23. Johnson is also facing a misdemeanor battery charge.

In Thrasher’s statement, which was released about 20 minutes after Fisher’s, he said he supports the indefinite suspension of Cook as the investigation into the incident continues. Additionally, Thrasher said he will meet with the team and is “asking professionals, including State Attorney Willie Meggs,” to speak to the team as well.

Here’s Thrasher’s full statement:

“I am extremely disappointed to learn of this allegation against Dalvin Cook. I fully support the immediate and indefinite suspension of Cook from the football team while we look into this matter further and due process runs its course.

It is especially disheartening to learn of this case just days after Coach Fisher dismissed quarterback De'Andre Johnson from the team for his role in a physical altercation that occurred in an off-campus bar.

As I have previously said, I have no tolerance for the type of behavior alleged in these cases. We expect all of our students, especially our student-athletes who represent this university in the public spotlight, to adhere to the highest standards.

I have asked Coach Fisher and Athletics Director Stan Wilcox to develop a plan to help our student-athletes understand the consequences of these kinds of actions. This will include Coach Fisher meeting immediately with his team to reiterate, in no uncertain terms, our expectations of them. I also plan to meet with the team, and we will be asking professionals who deal with these matters, including State Attorney Willie Meggs, to speak with them.

The vast majority of our student-athletes are good students and positive role models who contribute to their university and their communities. It is unfortunate that the actions of a very few individuals are causing embarrassment to their teammates and this university.

Coach Fisher, Athletics Director Wilcox and I are committed to ensuring our student-athletes uphold this university's values, and we will continue to work together toward that goal."

Cook was a major contributor for Florida State as a freshman in 2014. He had 1,008 yards and eight touchdowns rushing and added 203 receiving yards.

Johnson, a four-star recruit from Jacksonville, enrolled at FSU in January and was not considered a candidate to start for the Seminoles next season.

For more Florida State news, visit Warchant.com.

- - - - - - -

Sam Cooper is a contributor for the Yahoo Sports blogs. Have a tip? Email him or follow him on Twitter!