Today is a proxy war for the Big Ten championship, but really, it's all very simple. If Wisconsin beats Northwestern, the Badgers go to the Rose Bowl. Unless, that is, Ohio State somehow loses to Michigan, in which case Michigan State would go to the Rose Bowl. Unless the Spartans also lose to Penn State, in which case we're back to the Badgers – you know, probably. But if Wisconsin loses, it's the Buckeyes all the way. Unless of course their patented slow-down strategy leaves the door open for Michigan State to leap them in the polls with a surprising blowout in Happy Valley. A close shave for Wisconsin could also leave room for Ohio State to make a move if things get ugly in Columbus.
Essentially, it's this: If everything happens the way we think it's going to happen, Wisconsin is going to Pasadena via a) Its position in the BCS standings, and/or b) Its head-to-head win over Ohio State in October. And we're always right when it comes to this sort of thing, aren't we?
• What: Game day live blog, all games in play, all day long. All comments welcome.
• When: First kickoffs are at noon; blog kicks simultaneously, running through at least the colossal primetime tilts in Athens, Los Angeles and Stillwater. Come as you please.
• Who: You, of course. And your arch nemesis, just to get into the spirit.
• How: Hit "Watch Now," enter comments into the available box and do your part to accelerate the slow, agonizing death of conventional journalism.
• Why: It is the final regular season Saturday of 2010, blessed be its soul. Get your kicks in while you still can.
- - -
Matt Hinton is on Twitter: Follow him @DrSaturday.