Dominic Cizauskas, a former linebacker recruit at Wisconsin and the 2013 Wisconsin high school defensive player of the year, was convicted Wednesday of third-degree sexual assault for an incident that happened while he was on his recruiting visit to Wisconsin.
During his December visit, he met with a woman he knew from his hometown. The encounter happened in Sellery Hall on the Wisconsin campus.
Cizauskas and his family appeared stunned by the verdict, and quietly left the courtroom after it was read. Cizauskas now faces up to five years in prison and five years of extended supervision when he is sentenced in about two months by Reserve Judge Daniel LaRocque.
The verdict, reached after about five hours of deliberation, came at the end of a hard-fought day in the courtroom that saw testimony by the woman and by Cizauskas, whose accounts of the incident differed on key points, particularly whether she consented to have sex with Cizauskas.
Both parties testified they had consensual sex previously, but the victim said she was not interested in him once she enrolled at Wisconsin in the fall. Cizauskas' attorney maintained the encounter was consensual and that the woman deleted text messages that said she wanted him to come to her room.
The victim also said that Cizauskas did not immediately comply with her requests to stop.
A three-star prospect according to Rivals and the No. 6 player in the state of Wisconsin, Cizauskas did not sign his letter of intent with the Badgers and was not officially a member of their 2014 recruiting class.
For more Wisconsin news, visit BadgerBlitz.com.
- - - - - - -