Former Syracuse quarterback AJ Long was medically disqualified from playing football by the school because of multiple concussions. He said Tuesday that he's looking to transfer from Syracuse and continue his playing career.
The school said Long had been deemed unable to play football by the team doctor on October 13.
Officially have my release from Syracuse Football, in the process of finding a new home. FBS FCS schools are an option. All considered
— $avage (@FoeBoy_Cuse4) October 27, 2015
Long told Syracuse.com on Tuesday that he felt he could still play.
"I could still play right now," Long said. "It's just making sure I have a clean bill of health."
Given what he's said previously, a program taking a chance on him with a scholarshop may be dicey. And that's even if he's medically cleared in the first place.
After the news of his disqualification, Long had told the site that he "couldn't even tell you" how many concussions he had suffered in the last few years. The announcement that he couldn't play football any longer came after his third diagnosed concussion. Long told Syracuse.com that after each concussion he had headaches and needed to spend significant time in the dark as he recovered.
Long played in six games in 2014. He was 89-165 passing for 935 yards, four touchdowns and eight interceptions. A three-star recruit in the class of 2014, Long would have been a sophomore in 2015. He'll have three more years of eligibility if he transfers.
For more Syracuse news, visit CuseConfidential.com.
- - - - - - -