According to the district attorney assigned to the case, the case against three LSU football players could be dropped.
Quarterback Anthony Jennings, defensive lineman Maquedius Bain and defensive back Dwayne Thomas are accused of unauthorized entry into an inhabited dwelling. The three allegedly entered a residence to retrieve items that were stolen from Jennings and arrested June 18.
East Baton Rouge District Attorney Hillar Moore told reporters Wednesday that he'll make his decision "fairly soon." The two alleged victims in the case have asked that the case be dropped.
[Yahoo Sports Fantasy Football: Sign up and join a league today!]
“If this was a regular case, take football out of it, if it just involved a regular LSU student, you wouldn’t have known it happened. It would routinely be dismissed,” he said. “I’m taking my time to get it right.”
Moore made his comments at a Rotary Club event where LSU coach Les Miles was speaking. Miles knew Moore was in the audience and while he was giving his remarks made some comments towards the prosecutor.
“I’m right there with you. You hear me? As we have always operated, I’m on your schedule,” Miles said, pointing to Moore, sitting in a far corner of the room. “You tell me what you need to tell me, and I will operate accordingly. I promise you.”
The room burst into laughter before Miles added, “Please don’t write that in the paper. Please don’t write that.”
Miles has previously said that he expected Jennings to return to the team. An expedited return would be beneficial for Jennings' chances of winning LSU's starting quarterback job in the fall. He'll be competing again with Brandon Harris for the right to be No. 1. Jennings had 11 starts in 2015.
For more LSU news, visit Tigerbait.com.
- - - - - - -