Ex-Georgetown star Victor Page’s spiral continues with 10-year prison sentence

Even though the Georgetown program was known for its formidable big men under the elder John Thompson, the most prominent Hoyas of the mid-1990s were a pair of fearless guards.

One was Allen Iverson, who of course became an 11-time NBA all-star after leaving Georgetown in 1996. The other was Victor Page, whose life has spiraled in the other direction since he left the Hoyas program the following year.

Seventeen years after he earned Big East tournament MVP honors after leading the Hoyas to the championship, Page sits in a jail cell at Prince George’s County Correctional Center after a judge sentenced him to 10 years in prison for second-degree assault. The gruesome details of Page's crime come via the Washington Times:

“The suspect jumped out of bed, pulled the victim’s hair tearing it from the scalp,” the statement of probable cause read. “He then dragged her to the bathroom, throwing her into the tub and running hot water on her while punching the victim repeatedly in the face.”

That wasn’t all.

“The suspect then ran into the kitchen and grabbed a knife and stabbed the victim on her right hand and right thigh,” the statement read. “The victim then ran outside as the suspect chased her with the knife and stated he was going to kill her.”

That passage would be stomach-churning enough were it Page's first crime, but he's far from a one-time offender. The Washington Times story revealed Page has been arrested 33 times since 2010, spent about 700 days behind bars and wears a patch where his right eye used to be as a result of a 2003 gunshot wound.

There's no excusing Page's behavior, but growing up in a rough section of Washington D.C. can't have helped, nor could having to share a three-bedroom townhouse with up to 11 relatives. Page told the New York Times in 2006 that his father died of pneumonia when he was 10 and his mother died from complications of HIV as he was finishing high school.

Though Page quickly emerged as a coveted basketball recruit, he also accumulated baggage as quickly as he did buckets. His first arrest came for cocaine possession and a number of gun-related charges before his senior year of high school, yet he still played for McKinley Tech, averaging 31 points per game and leading the team to a district championship.

Page left Georgetown after his sophomore season against the advice of draft experts because he saw an opportunity to help lift his family out of poverty. Alas, he went undrafted and bounced between the Continental Basketball Association and Europe for a few years, never achieving his NBA dreams.

As recently as 2009, a 33-year-old Page told a Washington D.C. TV station he still felt he could make a comeback and perhaps even reach the NBA.

At the time, that seemed delusional. Four years later, it's also just depressing.