Selection Sunday is less than three weeks away, so we're going to take a conference-by-conference look at the bubble picture this week. We'll do two conferences a day from Monday until Friday, starting with this assessment of the SEC:
Tourney-bound: Kentucky (26-1), Vanderbilt (20-6), Tennessee (20-6)
They've got work to do: Florida, Mississippi State, Ole Miss
Florida (19-8, 8-4, RPI: 54)
• Marquee wins: Florida State, Michigan State
• Bad losses: Southern Alabama, at South Carolina
• Remaining schedule: Tennessee, at Georgia; Vandy; at Kentucky
• Outlook: The Gators are solidly in the field as of now because of a few 3-pointers that Chandler Parsons bailed this team out with. If Parsons doesn't connect on this or this, Florida's a 17-10 team that makes the SEC look weaker than it already is. Gators have to finish the regular season 2-2 and win an SEC tourney game.
Mississippi State (19-8, 7-5, RPI: 65)
• Marquee wins: Ole Miss (twice)
• Bad losses: Rider, at Western Kentucky, at Alabama
• Remaining schedule: Alabama, at South Carolina, at Auburn, Tennessee
• Outlook: The Bulldogs have a fairly easy schedule coming down the stretch. I actually have them as team No. 65 right now. They'll have to go 3-1 to continue to tread water.
Mississippi (17-9, 5-7, RPI: 63)
• Marquee wins: Kansas State, UTEP
• Bad losses: Arkansas, Florida
• Remaining schedule: Auburn, at Alabama, LSU, at Arkansas
• Outlook: Getting swept by their rival is pretty damaging. The boat is taking on a lot of water, as the Rebs have dropped five of their last six to plummet in the SEC West standings. You can't ask for an easier end to a schedule than what Andy Kennedy's team has staring in front of it. It's a must for these guys to win four in a row, get to 9-7 in the conference and see what the landscape looks like heading into the SEC tourney.