So the big news this week, obviously, is that Kasey Kahne is moving to Hendrick Motorsports in 2012. But this right here is only -- wow, it's 2010 already? Time flies. Anyway, that leaves us with one full year where Kasey has absolutely nothing to do.
The hot rumor is that he'll go to Stewart-Haas Racing and run there for a year. But frankly, that's predictable and expected. When you've got the job of your life waiting for you, you don't need to rush right into it, do you? No, you need to take some time off! Get to know yourself! You've worked hard to get to this point, why not enjoy some of the fruits of your labor before really buckling down?
“There are so many possibilities [for 2011], it’s not fair to anyone to speculate yet,” Rick Hendrick said. “We don’t have A, B, C and D yet. If we laid out 10 options, there will be some more, so we just have to wait and see.”
Ten options, eh? I take that as a challenge. So here, then, are my ten ideas on what Kasey could do:
• Wander the countryside solving crimes, righting wrongs, comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable, with occasional gunplay.
• Take a year off to "find himself" by traveling around Europe, visiting famous monuments and locations and indulging in all manner of things he won't be able to pursue when he has a real job.
• Six words: Kasey Kahne, International Man of Mystery.
• Hang out in Rick Hendrick's basement and crank through marathon sessions of "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2."
• Pursue that chick-flick movie career he's always wanted.
• Chuck it all and follow The Grateful Dead. Realize The Dead haven't been a band for well over a decade, follow Taylor Swift. Receive restraining order, return home.
• Host his own reality series, "Big Daddy Kahne," where lovely ladies battle for the honor of serving on Kasey's pit crew.
• Don a wig, race in the Nationwide Series as "Kahnica." Profit.
• Play minor-league baseball until "Kasey at the bat" jokes become too much to endure.
• Work in a coffee shop until busted for trying to sell Budweiser frappuccinos.
All right, your thoughts? Let's help keep this poor guy occupied for a year!