Could the expansion of Gene Haas' racing ownership grow to include Formula 1?
German website Auto Motor Sport reports that Haas is one of three candidates to become a Formula 1 team owner in 2015. The sanctioning body accepted applications for new team ownership at the end of 2013.
The most interesting candidate is certainly Gene Haas. The 62-year-old Californian has already been successful in motor sport operates. It operates since 2002 a Nascar team, most recently in fusion with superstar Tony Stewart. Gene Haas is financially prepared. He is not only the world's largest manufacturer of CNC machines, but has the Windshear wind tunnel in Concord, North Carolina, also one of the best wind tunnels in the world. Renowned Formula 1 teams were part of the customer base of the wind sheer. Haas will enter 2015 with its own team in Formula 1 - Haas Racing. The cars are to be designed in-house, but initially built by Dallara.Engine and transmission partner would be Ferrari. Since Gene Haas prefer operates in the background, the role of team leaders from the former Red Bull team manager Guenther Steiner would be occupied. A three-digit million amount as Formula 1 budget would be for Haas Racing guarantees to a factory with the most advanced equipment in North Carolina. This ensures that the bankruptcy of the ex-candidate USF1 (2010) are not repeated.
In December, Ferrari officials said that Ferrari had been contacted by a US bidder.
Haas confirmed his interest in a statement on Thursday.
"We have responded to the FIA's 'call for expression of interest' regarding a Formula One entry on behalf of Haas Racing Development,’’ Haas said. “We respect the FIA's evaluation process and will share more details in the coming weeks."
Stewart-Haas Racing was formed from the former Haas CNC team in 2009 when Haas gave 50 percent of the team to Tony Stewart. SHR operated as a two-car team through the 2011 season. Danica Patrick drove for the team full-time in 2013 and with the addition of Kurt Busch for 2014, Stewart-Haas is at four teams. That's the NASCAR limit.
US F1 was the last attempt by an American-based team to enter Formula 1. During its infancy, the team had big plans. Heck, it even went after Kyle Busch in 2009. At least publicly, anyway.
The US F1 attempted entry officially went under in 2010. The team fired all of its employees and had $3.5 million in debt. It didn't even make a car.
American interest would probably increase from an entry into the series, especially with the success of the United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas in Austin, Tex. There's a possible second grand prix in the United States too -- The Grand Prix of America in New Jersey -- but spats over contracts have made that race's possible appearance on a future F1 schedule tenuous at best.
- - - - - - -