With all the superlatives you can say about the fights this year in the UFC, tonight's event in Toronto may have produced the most spectacular set of finishes on the pay-per-view we've seen over the 12 months.
Chan Sung Jung knocked out Mark Hominick in just seven seconds and got the Knockout of the Night. Frank Mir posted a brilliant comeback and either broke and dislocated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's arm. He got Submission of the Night. The main event between Jon Jones and Lyoto Machida was called the Fight of the Night. All bonus winners got $75,000. On top of that, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira appeared to have broken some ribs on Tito Ortiz during his big win.
- There was a rumor reported by Yahoo! Sports' Kevin Iole that Alistair Overeem was going to drop out of his Dec. 30 fight against Brock Lesnar at UFC 141. Dana White strongly denied the report and said he hadn't heard anything. Keep in mind, the possibility still exists. Last week, Overeem left his new training camp in Las Vegas to tend to his ailing mother back in the Netherlands. He's due at a Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing on Monday in Las Vegas.
- White announced the official start of the flyweight era begins Mar. 3, 2012. There will be two fights with the winners meeting for 125-pound title at a later date. Joe Benavidez will face Yasuhiro Urushitani and Demetrious Johnson battles Ian McCall. Urushitani will be making his Zuffa debut.
- Tito Ortiz wants one more fight in the UFC. He was beaten badly by "Lil' Nog," but wants to go out a winner. White was non-committal when asked if he would give another fight to the UFC legend.
- Ortiz went to the hospital where he was joined by "Big Nog." He's a tough guy. Anyone who saw his arm snap would be surprised to see the same guy smiling in an ambulance.
Update: White said he still hadn't gotten official word on the nature of injury, but damage to both the shoulder and elbow would require surgery.
- The event at the Air Canada Centre hauled in a gate of $3.9 million and a total of 18,303 fans.
- Jones said he'd like four or five months off.
"Fighting three times in 2012 would be nice. My goal is to be a company guy. Please Dana gimme a break, though," laughed Jones. "I am actually going to take time off. My parents did a great job of raising me and my brothers. I want to give them magical vacation."
Jones was a go-to guy for the promotion this year fighting in February, March, October and December.
- Mir stirred the pot a bit in reference to the Overeem rumors saying he feels healthy and three weeks is plenty of time to get ready for UFC 143. He'd also like a shot against new UFC heavyweight champ Junior dos Santos and thinks the door is still open even though the Lesnar-Overeem winner has been promised the next shot.
"If Brock goes out there and lays on Overeem for three rounds, maybe I'll get it," said Mir.
- Mir commented on the duel of jiu-jitsu skills showcased his fight against the legendary Nogueira.
"He tried to do BJJ move for BJJ move with me, and the guys I train with are pretty good. I'm used to guys trying to roll through on my kimura. I had a strong inclination Nog wouldn't tap," said Mir.
The Las Vegan also said Nogueira would submit nine out of 10 guys caught in a guillotine, but he's No. 10.
- White said he told UFC matchmaker Joe Silva that he'd like a quick turnaround for the Korean Zombie.