Tough talk may work with the average schlub but when you're backed into a corner by billionaires, even the biggest loudmouth will get crushed. Affliction's Todd Beard took on the Fertitta brothers (owners of the UFC and Station Casinos) and embarrassed Donald Trump and Oscar DelaHoya. He's now going bye-bye according to MMAJunkie.com.
Todd Beard, the owner of Affliction, came off as a jackass during his recent appearance on Scott Ferrall's show saying that he was going to get the "wanna be tough guy mobsters" Fertitta brothers. He then followed that up by allegedly making phone threats to the UFC and the Coutures. All of that prompted folks to do a background check on Beard. The convicted felon was told to hit the road today. He resigned and will enter an alcohol rehab program. Beard released this statement:
"I would like to apologize for my comments that may have offended Kim and Randy Couture and (Couture attorney) Mr. (Sam) Spira. "I had a long-standing relationship with the Coutures, and I was deeply and emotionally hurt by some of their recent business decisions. I have only the best of intentions for the success of the Affliction and Xtreme Couture clothing brands and understand that there are personal issues I must address."
Mike Chiapetta of NBC Sports reported earlier on Friday day that Trump was sticking with Affliction regardless of Beard's status. Trump Inc. COO Michael Cohen said media reports of Beard's felonious past putting Trump's gaming license in jeopardy were incorrect:
“Anyway you slice it, it’s wrong and there should be a retraction,” he said. “Beard is not and never has been a shareholder, officer, director or board member of Affliction Entertainment.”
Cohen added that Trump remains committed to the fight company with its next event scheduled for Jan. 24.