A few quick links to start your day ...
• Sports Illustrated has decreed that it shall be the Mets over the Angels in the 2009 World Series and Jon Lewin says the mag is helping its case by giving the main cover shot to CC Sabathia. Can you say jinx much?
(Also, is it possible that we're looking at the first airbrushed cover of SI not involving Vendela?) [Subway Squawkers]
• By the way, here are SI's full playoff predictions:
ALDS: Yankees over Twins; Angels over Red Sox
NLDS: Cubs over Phillies; Mets over Dodgers
ALCS: Angels over Yankees
NLCS: Mets over Cubs
WORLD SERIES: Mets over Angels
• Sad news: The new Yankee Stadium will open without Voice of God announcer Bob Sheppard behind the mike. [New York Daily News]
• The cover to Joe Posnanski's new book about the 1970s Big Red Machine is about the greatest book cover I've ever seen. I've been wanting to buy that Pete Rose photo and get it framed forever. [JoeBlog]
• My old Badger pal Matt Rodbard hits Citi Field to look at the new gourmet offerings, including a burger from Shake Shack that people talk about in reverential terms. [Metromix]
• Oakland's having trouble getting a stadium deal done? You don't say! [Major League Jerk]
• Sidd Finch for a new generation: The Yankees have signed Kenny Powers. [Yanks Go Yard]