The games don't count, and pitchers will be running laps in the outfield during play, but Major League Baseball returns from hibernation Wednesday afternoon with action from the Grapefruit and Cactus leagues. Six games dot the schedule, not including the Marlins playing the University of Miami.
MLB Network will carry the Philadelphia Phillies and Toronto Blue Jays starting at 1 p.m. ET. That game also will be broadcast on MLB.tv on a delayed basis, as will the Cincinnati Reds-Cleveland Indians and the Los Angeles Dodgers-Arizona Diamondbacks games. SportsNet L.A. will telecast the Dodgers game, but unless you live in Bakersfield, Calif., you probably won't get a chance to see Vin Scully do his thing live.
Here are the full matchups:
• The New York Yankees visit the Pittsburgh Pirates at Bradenton, Fla., though Derek Jeter won't make his 2014 debut until Thursday. Instead, Yangervis Solarte gets the call at shortstop and Ivan Nova pitches for the Yanks. Ian Kinsler bats leadoff for the Tigers and Drew Smyly is starting on the mound.
• The Phillies host the Blue Jays in Clearwater, Fla., and although left-hander Cole Hamels won't be on the mound, he has thrown a bullpen session for the first time since announcing he's felt discomfort in his left shoulder. The Jays are going with their "A" group — something that was a rarity in 2013:
#BlueJays first lineup of the spring: Reyes SS, Cabrera LF, Bautista RF, Encarnacion 1B, Lind DH, Lawrie 3B, Rasmus CF, Navarro C, Goins 2B— Gregor Chisholm (@gregorMLB) February 26, 2014
• The Atlanta Braves host the Detroit Tigers at Lake Buena Vista, Fla., otherwise known as Walt Disney World. Jason Heyward leads off and plays right field for Atlanta. Justin Upton has been scratched.
• The Reds visit the Indians at Goodyear, Ariz. (but they share the facility, so it's like being at home). Billy Hamilton is leading off for the Reds and Nyjer Morgan leads off for the Indians after playing a season in Japan. Here are the full lineups.
• The Oakland Athletics visit the San Francisco Giants at Scottsdale, Ariz. Yusmeiro Petit pitches for the Giants, who won't use Buster Posey until Friday.
• The Arizona Diamondbacks host the Los Angeles Dodgers as practice for their trip to Australia. Yasiel Puig bats third for the Dodgers, with Clayton Kershaw on the hill. Reigning NL MVP Paul Goldschmidt and right-hander Brandon McCarthy are set to go for Kirk Gibson's D-backs.
- - - - - - -