Baseball is back! Here at Big League Stew, we'll take a quick dash around the league each morning in an attempt to keep you updated on all the springtime storylines.
• Is Travis Snider the metric equivalent of Domonic Brown? The Blue Jays outfielder was optioned to Triple-A Las Vegas on Sunday, making way for Eric Thames to be Toronto's opening day left fielder. Like it did with Philadelphia's Brown, the demotion delays and perhaps even diminishes the expectations we've long held for Snider. But considering his still-young age (24), DJF's Dustin Parkes asks if we should really be abandoning any hope that Snider can still become a consistent hitter.
• Better late than never: David Wright is scheduled to make his first appearance in the Mets lineup Monday. He'll travel to Jupiter and bat third against St. Louis.
• Ouch! It looks like A-Rod and Jason Bay can commiserate and compare notes when their two teams meet up next week. One (A-Rod) was drilled by a 95 mph fastball from Detroit's Bryan Villareal on Sunday while the other (Bay) was hit on the arm by a pitch from Stephen Strasburg.
• Rays GM Andrew Friedman was asked whether he regretted giving another chance to Matt Bush in light of the awful DUI crash he's alleged to have caused.
"Obviously, if I knew that nothing would have happened to the victim then, yeah, the answer is easy," Friedman told reporters. "But it's hard to have that kind of hindsight in this."
Tony Tufano, the motorcyclist involved in the accident, has been downgraded to critical condition and remains on a breathing tube. Bush remains in jail on a $1.015 million bond.
• Jair Jurrjens finally put together a good spring training start.
• Michael Pineda on his velocity: "I have more."
• Have a fantasy draft this week? Terrified that you'll draft someone who's injured, eliciting chatbox mockery from the rest of your owners? Dedicated to the memory of Ryan Madson, this is about the best "do not draft" list we've seen compiled.
• Here are some instructions for constructing your very own "Which White Sox closer candidate should I draft?" wheel. Yes, you really do have to put Will Ohman on there.
• Scottish baseball players. They have uniforms now!
• Finally, it's pretty hard to wrap one's head around this Target ad that OMGReds brought to our attention. We've come to the conclusion that these children are probably just smart enough to ignore the advice of their parents.