Baseball is back! Here at Big League Stew, we'll take a quick dash around the league each morning in an attempt to keep you updated on all the springtime storylines.
• Are Cole Hamels and the Phillies spending some of the spring talking extension? The lefty's agent is spending the whole week in Clearwater, presumably to do more than eat breakfast at Lenny's and tour the area's fine selection of bailbondsmen, shooting ranges and strip clubs.
• Grant Brisbee of McCovey Chronicles, meanwhile, attempts to decipher the tea leaves that are laying around Matt Cain's extension situation.
• Francisco Cordero is looking just a tad more sizable than Chipper Jones did.
• Michael Pineda didn't throw any fastball over 91 mph in his spring training debut after regularly touching around 94 in his rookie season. But Dave Cameron says it's nothing to worry about just yet.
• Evan Longoria is feeling antsy and plans to "push it" when it comes to his hand injury. He'll take some hacks in the batting cage Wednesday.
• The "shhhhh" gesture that Hanley Ramirez shot me for our C-a-C picture is apparently part of a larger "lo viste" movement the Marlins are doing this season. It means "did you see that?" and the "shhhhh" is a signal pointing toward one of their eyes.
• Finally, here's a new Giants commercial that's airing in the Bay Area. Less than a month to go until opening day ...