A few items to peruse while the colors inside your head go spinning around, like a Ferris wheel ...
After improving to 8-3 with a win over New York on Wednesday, Wakefield has the second-most wins in the AL. The big problem is that Wakefield has a 4.50 ERA, which ranks behind 29 other AL starters.
Still, that won't prevent Wakefield from being intrigued by the thought of an overinflated statistic sending him to his first Midsummer Classic:
"It's one thing that you want in a career is to make an All-Star team. We've won two World Series. Just add it to the list of things that you say you've accomplished in your career. Obviously, it would be nice to make a team."
Wakefield will turn 43 in August, but he won't set any kind of records should he get the nod. The oldest pitcher to participate in the All-Star Game was Satchel Paige, who was said to be 47 in 1953. (The oldest non-pitcher was Pete Rose, who was 44 in 1985). [NYT Bats Blog]
• "Let's be real here, though: The real reason the Red Sox won last night is because the Yankees starting Chien-Ming Wang(notes) worked out just about as poorly as everyone at Fenway Park figured it would." [Red Sox Monster]
• Rick Sutcliffe didn't have much to say about A-Rod and Tex. [NYDN]
Day Baseball! Rockies at Brewers, 2:05 ET It's one thing to have a seven-game winning streak, it's another to have a seven-game winning streak on the road. But free from the shackles of Coors Field, the Rockies pitching staff has a 2.29 ERA. Do-gooder Aaron Cook(notes) will look to extend the streak to eight this afternoon against Yovani Gallardo(notes).
• A few experts are also saying the Rockies "won" the draft. [Bugs & Cranks]
• The Blue Jays are getting to the point where they should just offer Dr. James Andrews (below) a spot as the team's official physician. [Sports and the City]
• Here's a great post on some of the lesser records that Hall of Famers would prefer you not recognize (ie: Cal Ripken owning the MLB record for GIDP). [Rumors and Rants]
• You call it criminal, I call it resourceful: A Little League coach enlisted his players to help him steal some things from an empty shop [Steadyburn]