Mariano Rivera, in the middle of his MLB "farewell tour," has been receiving gifts from opposing teams when his New York Yankees visit. Rivera's final stop in cities has earned him prizes such as a surfboard and a gold record.
Cap maker New Era, which really is like a part of every MLB team, decided to get in on the action too. It created and will soon be selling a special line of caps commemorating Mo's historic career. They should be available by next week in cap stores across the country, online at neweracap.com and, of course, at Yankee Stadium.
I was curious how rare something like this is. A New Era rep tells me that while other players have gotten special patches for achievements — Derek Jeter's 3,000th hit, for example — Rivera is the first player to get his own collection of special caps.
Three different caps will be available, each with the special patch you see above, an image of Rivera running out of the bullpen to close a game. The three caps are:
• A standard Yankee cap with the patch on one side and a gold signature under the brim.
• A cap with a gold NY logo, gold under the brim and the patch on one side.
• The patch front and center on the cap with the Yankee logo on the side.
Related coverage on Yahoo! Sports:
• Biogenesis probe brings hardened, over-the-top stance from Bud Selig, MLB
• Penguins waddle to mound for ceremonial first pitch
• Jhonny Peralta's walkoff HR lifts Tigers past Red Sox