Exploding sprinkler causes delay during minor league game

Unlike many of the major league cities east of the Mississippi River, the weather in Fort Wayne, Ind. was cooperative enough for the Fort Wayne TinCaps and Great Lakes Loons of the Class A Midwest League to get a baseball game in on Wednesday afternoon. Unfortunately, though, even with the good weather, the game required a short delay due to wet field conditions. Only the cause in this case was a hustling baseball player, which led to an exploding sprinkler in the TinCaps bullpen down the right field line. 

It happened in the top of the fifth inning with Fort Wayne trailing 5-1. TinCap first baseman Fernando Perez went all out to pursue a foul ball that was drifting down the right field line. During his chase, Perez accidentally kicked a sprinkler head along the fence and it immediately turned into a geyser as the water started shooting straight into the air and blowing into the stands thanks to the wind. 

It appears there was a group of young children seated behind the sprinkler. Many of them scrambled away as the water fell, while others appeared to enjoy the unadvertised sprinkler shower. 

Though we don't see it in the video, the grounds crew finally got the water shut off 18 minutes later, but not before a few quick-thinking players attempted to cover it with the tarp that's used to cover the bullpen mounds. Of course, their attempt was unsuccessful, but it was nonetheless admirable.  

And the rough day didn't end there for Fort Wayne. Soon after the game resumed, the floodgates reopened from a baseball perspective. The Loons erupted for five runs in the fifth inning and went on to win the game 15-4. But perhaps most importantly to the Loons players, they all managed to stay dry. 

BLS H/N: Deadspin

More MLB coverage from Yahoo Sports:

- - - - - - -

Mark Townsend is a writer for Big League Stew on Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at bigleaguestew@yahoo.com or follow him on Twitter!

What to Read Next