1. Baltimore Orioles reliever Alfredo Simon(notes) surrendered himself to Dominican Republic police on Monday, but insisted the shooting that left a 25-year-old man dead on New Year's Eve was an accident.
"It wasn't a thing like we began arguing and I started shooting. It was some accident; it happened by accident," Simon said, speaking at the police station where he turned himself in. "That's why I came here — to open my soul."
Simon's lawyer says that the dead man is Simon's cousin. In other news, the O's are sending a rep down to the Dominican Republic to gather facts before making a decision while the public prosecutor is pushing for a year of "preventive detention" for Simon as the case prepares to reach trial.[Britt Ghiroli]
2. FanHouse's Ed Price somehow comes to the conclusion that it's OK to suspect Hall of Fame-eligibles of steroid use without any real evidence, so long as it's done in private. [Fanhouse]
3. Tyler Kepner pulls the Internet equivalent of yelling "fire!" in a crowded movie theater, posts his Jack Morris Hall of Fame case before the jackals of the Internet. [NY Times]
7. You think this tattoo of the Phillie Phanatic being assasinated by Mr. Met is demented? The guy's other leg features a toaster being thrown into Billy The Marlin's tank. [@darrenrovell]
9. Did Bryce Harper change his batting stance? [Nats Enquirer]