After a one-week sabatical from the high school hardwood hotbeds, we've got the best buzzer beaters and dunks that you haven't seen, along with a heck of a save from a California soccer field.
• Austin Olivas, Tyrone (Okla.) vs. Balko (Okla.): Tyrone pulled out the title game of the Texhoma Basketball Tournament thanks to a long inbounds pass, two big strides and this miraculous banked three from Olivas at the buzzer.
• Presque Isle (Maine) vs. Lincoln (Maine) Mattanawcook Academy: We couldn't determine who the talented Presque Isle star who hit this shot was, but it's still one of the better girls hoops buzzer beaters we've seen this year.
• Jordan Adams, Dieruff (Pa.) vs. Whitehall (Pa.): Eventually, referees determined that this second-chance buzzer beater actually came after the final whistle, but we weren't so sure. In fact, we'd love to know what everyone else thinks. Did Adams get this shot off, even as Whitehall assumed the game was over and started heading off the court?
• Aaron Gordon, Archbishop Mitty (Calif.) vs. St. Francis (Calif.): Gordon is only a sophomore, yet this alley-oop throw down is one of the better slams to come out of the state of California so far this season, even if it did come in a loss.
• Mike Shaw, De La Salle (Ill.) vs. St. Rita (Ill.): This sideheaded slam from superstar recruit Mike Shaw might not quite be the Chicago Catholic League slam of the year, but if it isn't, it's pretty close. It also helped pave the way for a surprisingly one-sided De La Salle rout.
• George Hill III, Kingston (Wash.) vs. North Kitsap (Wash.): George Hill III has received numerous accolades for his interior passing as Kingston rolls toward the Olympic League title, yet it was his athleticism that stood out on this play, with the Buccaneers star elevating for a rebound and explosive putback dunk in a win over North Kitsap.
• Lucas Champenois, Los Altos (Calif.) vs. Mountain View (Calif.): Mountain View snuck out a victory in this headed Northern California matchup, but the play of the game came from Los Altos' goalie at the 30-second mark of this clip. As far as one-handed saves go, that's top of the heap.
• 2011 Highlander Classic, Mequon (Wisc.): Like hockey? Check. Outdoor hockey? Check. Pond hockey? Now you're talking. If there is any better ideas for a high school hockey fundraiser than a four-on-four pond hockey tournament held on a frozen golf course, we're not sure we've seen it.