Coaches in Indiana fight are suspended for remainder of 2013 season

Cameron Smith
Prep Rally

Remember on Monday when Prep Rally brought you video of the raucous on field fight that led to the cancellation of an Indiana football game? The two coaches who got involved in the fracas suddenly have a lot more time on their hands.

As reported by Indiana TV network WANE and USA Today, among other outlets, assistant football coaches for both Arsenal Tech High (Indianapolis, In.) and South Side High (Ft. Wayne, Ind.) have been suspended for the remainder of the entire 2013 season for their involvement in a fight that began when a late hit precipitated a benches clearing brawl. The head coaches of the two teams, Arsenal Tech's Emil Ekyior and South Side's Eddie Fields, have also been suspended for their team's forthcoming games on Friday.

Finally, both squads have been put on complete probation for all of the 2013 and 2014 seasons, which means that any other incidents will likely lead to the cancellation of whichever campaign in which they occur.

Indiana High School Activities Association Commissioner Bobby Cox told WANE that the two schools had recommended suspending Arsenal Tech assistant Angelo Muhammad and South Side assistant Dan Muchler themselves, with the state governing body quickly agreeing to the long-term bans.

Cox also noted that a number of players who were involved in the brawl would also be suspended for a single game, though those bans will be allowed to be spread out across the team's remaining games so that neither squad would have to forfeit any remaining matchups for lack of eligible players.

Fittingly, all players and coaches involved in the sordid event will also be forced to undergo online courses in sportsmanship.

"The head coach has a responsibility to make sure their team box is under control," Cox told the media. "When you leave the team box, that really is an ejection-able offense. That needs to be discussed at the beginning of the season. Here we are in the sixth week of the season and we have a bench-clearing incident where both teams are out in the middle of the field and punches are exchanged."

Quite naturally, the fight has captured a majority of the attention trained on prep sports in Indiana since it occurred. Perhaps now that final sentences have been handed out the two squads will be able to move forward with the remainder of their seasons. For his part, Cox said that while these serious suspensions were merited, he was happy with the response from both schools in the immediate aftermath of the weekend's events.

"I'm very proud of our schools on what they've done so far on short notice," Cox said.

Want more on the best stories in high school sports? Connect with Prep Rally on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

What to Read Next