The Friday news cycle is the most important one for the fantasy football player. The Chargers will be our first point of focus, and then we'll check the other clubs, going position-by-position.
Antonio Gates(notes) (feet) is considered doubtful for Monday's game against Denver. He's got an extra day to get right, of course, and the Chargers still have an important practice to come (their Saturday workout stands as everyone else's Friday session), but you better have another option ready to go.
It's also looking unlikely for Ryan Mathews(notes) (ankle); Norv Turner confirmed as much Friday. Mike Tolbert(notes) should be in line for double-digit touches, and goal-line work, Monday night. At least nothing has happened to Mathews' arm and shoulder, should the Padres need him for anything in 2011.
Things aren't easier to figure with San Diego's wideouts. Malcom Floyd(notes) took a step back Friday when his sore hamstring popped up. He did practice in full on Wednesday and Thursday, however. Legedu Naanee(notes) also has a sore hamstring and is questionable for this week. Stay ready, Patrick Crayton(notes) and Seyi Ajirotutu(notes).
Okay, there are 31 other teams out there. Let's hit it.
• Joseph Addai(notes) (neck) had a full practice Thursday but then went back to a limited Friday. Context clues point to him not playing in New England, but this is the Colts, no one really knows. Mike Hart(notes) (ankle) probably needs another week, which would set up Donald Brown(notes) and Javarris James(notes) as the only fallbacks for the Indy backfield.
• Pierre Thomas(notes) (ankle) has been canceled out for Week 11, that we know in New Orleans. But the Saints backfield is still a mess, especially with Reggie Bush(notes) (questionable, knee) expected back. Bush had a limited session Friday but the club thinks he can go against Seattle. Christopher Ivory(notes) (shoulder) also missed some work but is expected to play, and Julius Jones(notes) and Ladell Betts(notes) are also in the mix, somewhere.
• Jahvid Best(notes) (toe) was back at practice Friday and is probable for Week 11. He'll be needed, as Kevin Smith(notes) (thumb surgery) has been ruled out. Smith, amazingly, hopes to be available for Detroit's Thanksgiving Day game next week.
• With DeAngelo Williams(notes) (foot-IR), Jonathan Stewart(notes) (post concussion) and Tyrell Sutton(notes) (ankle) out of the way, Mike Goodson(notes) is the last man standing in Carolina. He'll get plenty of work against the Ravens.
• Reggie Wayne(notes) (knee) and Austin Collie(notes) (post concussion) both had full practices Friday, though the Colts nonetheless list them as questionable. This seems like the typical Indy smokescreen and I'd expect they both go at New England, though I'm far more confident with Wayne than I am with Collie. And at the end of the day, no one ever knows anything for sure with this team.
• Sidney Rice(notes) (hip) is saying he'll play, though he's clearly not 100 percent. The Vikings have basically given him a mandate; get on the field in Week 11 or go on injured reserve. Percy Harvin(notes) (ankle) had a full session Friday and is listed as probable, while Bernard Berrian(notes) (groin) was limited and has the questionable tag.
• Mike Sims-Walker(notes) (ankle) is doubtful for Week 11 and probably won't go against Cleveland. Mike Thomas(notes) could get some extra looks as a result, and I'd like Thomas more than Sims-Walker even if both were fully healthy.
• Darrius Heyward-Bey(notes) (hamstring) missed some time Friday and is questionable for Sunday's date in Pittsburgh. If you need Heyward-Bey for your Week 11 plans, your team is pretty questionable, too.
• Zach Miller (foot) is listed as questionable, though context clues point to him being ready for Pittsburgh Sunday. Remember the Steelers had all sorts of problems with Rob Gronkowski(notes) last week.