- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Fabricio Werdum made his case to join the crowded top of the UFC's heavyweight division with a knockout of Mike Russow at UFC 147 in Brazil on Saturday night.
Werdum bloodied Russow's face early in the clinch. He leveled Russow with an uppercut, then followed with several punches and hammerfists until the fight was stopped at 2:28 in the first round.
As the crowd chanted his nickname, "Vai Cavalo," Werdum jumped on top of the cage to celebrate and nearly fell off. Once he recovered, Werdum asked for a title shot against Junior dos Santos.
"I respect 'Cigano,' but I'm ready for him," Werdum said after the bout.
Werdum was knocked out by dos Santos when they fought in 2008. Since then, Werdum moved to Strikeforce, where he beat Fedor Emelianenko, but lost to Alistair Overeem. He now has two wins back in the UFC.
This is Russow's first loss since he was submitted by Sergei Kharitonov in 2007.
Related UFC 147 coverage from Yahoo! Sports:
Other popular content on the Yahoo! network:
• Kevin Iole: Rich Franklin and Wanderlei Silva put on a great show
• Photo Gallery: Fighters compete at the UFC 147 championships
• Danica Patrick spun out of top-5 finish on final lap
• Vote for your most memorable Summer Olympic moments