The longtime partner of fighter B.J. Penn is alleging the UFC Hall of Famer verbally, physically and sexually abused her over their 10-year relationship. Shealen Uaiwa obtained a restraining order, according to a report by MMA Junkie. Penn is scheduled to fight in a month in Rio de Janiero, Brazil.
Uaiwa alleges abuse in written statements
Uaiwa and Penn share two children together. The alleged abuse includes incidents in front of the children, including Penn allegedly wrestling Uaiwa to the ground to get her phone.
The allegations are detailed by Uaiwa in written statements, dated Oct. 5, 2018, supplied to the Hawaii Family Court in support of her restraining order and obtained by MMA Junkie.
Uaiwa wrote that Penn, 40, “has been a drug addict since he was 14” and once spilled cocaine on their oldest daughter, then was “freaking out and he wanted to commit suicide.” She wrote of multiple incidents of physical abuse, some of which were when he was drunk or high, and occasions where he allegedly forced her to have sex and became violent when she did not. One incident occurred after the UFC Hall of Fame ceremony.
She alleges that Penn threatened to kill her brother, then her entire family. The statement begins with a detailed description of an incident on Oct. 7, 2018, in which Penn verbally harassed Uaiwa and her mother while they were picking up the couple’s two daughters.
She wrote she did not report the incidents “because of his name, reputation, the control he has had over my life and I was scared.” Penn has not been arrested or charged with any crimes.
“I feel fearful for my safety and my childrens life [sic], and for the influence he has over my children,” she wrote later on.
Attorney calls records ‘incomplete’
John Schmidtke Jr., Penn’s attorney, told MMA Junkie the records were “incomplete information” and couldn’t “by law” comment further since it involves the couple’s children.
Schmidtke said he believed the statement to be private, though MMA Junkie reports they were denied a request to seal it.
Penn is allowed supervised visits with the children, per the report, and limited contact with Uaiwa through attorneys.
The UFC declined to comment, per MMA Junkie. The restraining order runs through Oct. 8, 2021.
Penn accused of assault in 2016
Pedro Alex Carrasco, a former BJPenn.com editor, publicly alleged in 2016 that Penn sexually assaulted his girlfriend and was a cocaine addict.
“Tired of seeing this pervert BJ Penn in the news,” tweeted Carrasco, who worked for the fighter’s site for 10 years. “Dude’s a cocaine addict, who sexually assaulted my Playboy model GF, and I have proof.”
Penn denied the claims and the UFC announced its law firm looked into the allegations and found that no action had been taken by law enforcement. The County of Hawaii determined insufficient evidence to charge the fighter.
Penn scheduled to fight next month
Penn announced he was coming out of retirement in April 2016; the news that he would not be charged with sexual assault came out in November of that year. He struggled to get back into the Octagon and lost six consecutive fights, including the first submission loss of his career. He last fought in December.
He’ll return May 11 in a fight against Clay Guida at UFC 237 in Rio de Janiero, Brazil, after reportedly deciding he would continue in fighting.
More from Yahoo Sports: