(Subscribe to MMAWeekly.com on YouTube)
Muhammad "King Mo" Lawal came out of retirement for one final fight because he didn't want to end his career on a loss. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't able to rectify that issue.
Having lost three consecutive bouts before retiring in mid-2019, Lawal returned at Bellator 233 to try and notch one final W on his record. Andrew Kapel wouldn't let that happen, as he laid Lawal out early in the first round of their co-main event bout in Thackersville, Okla.
John Salter took a unanimous nod over Costello van Steenis in the Bellator 233 main event. The pivotal middleweight showdown could put Salter into a rematch with Bellator middleweight champion Rafael Lovato.
Bellator 233 took place on Friday, Nov. 8, at WinStar World Casino & Resort in Thackerville, Okla.
Bellator 233: Salter vs. van Steenis official results
- John Salter (17-4) defeated Costello van Steenis (12-2) via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Andrew Kapel (15-6) defeated “King Mo” Lawal (21-10) via KO (punch) at 1:22 of round one
- Arlene Blencowe (13-7) defeated Leslie Smith (11-8-1) via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Tyrell Fortune (8-0) defeated Zu Anyanwu (15-6) via TKO (punches) at 1:56 of round two
- Aaron McKenzie (7-1-1) defeated Sean Clements (3-2) via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:31 of round one
- Lucas Brennan (2-0) defeated Jacob Landin (0-3) via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:38 of round one
- Tyree Fortune (5-0) defeated Chuck Campbell (2-1) via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Logan Storley (11-0) defeated E.J. Brooks (13-6) via TKO (injury) at 5:00 of round one
- Julius Anglickas (8-1) defeated Jordan Young (11-1) via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Amanda Bell (7-6) defeated Janay Harding (5-4) via TKO (punches) at 4:44 of round three
- Kyle Crutchmer (5-0) defeated Robert Gidron (4-4) via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Romero Cotton (4-0) defeated Jason Perrotta (3-4) via verbal submission (injury) at 2:16 of round one
- Christian Edwards (2-0) defeated Cesar Bennett (0-1) via knockout (head kick) at 0:16 of round one
- Grant Neal (2-0) defeated Jimmy Lugo (1-1) via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 29-28)