Antonio Brown denies accusations from Florida condo incident, attorneys call lawsuits a 'shakedown attempt'

Yahoo Sports
<a class="link rapid-noclick-resp" href="/nfl/players/24171/" data-ylk="slk:Antonio Brown">Antonio Brown</a> is planning to fight a pair of lawsuits that claim he threw several items from a Florida condo balcony that nearly hit a man and his 22-month-old grandson. (Getty Images)
Antonio Brown is planning to fight a pair of lawsuits that claim he threw several items from a Florida condo balcony that nearly hit a man and his 22-month-old grandson. (Getty Images)

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown is planning to fight a pair of lawsuits filed against him earlier this week in Miami-Dade County, Florida.

The initial lawsuit alleges that Brown threw several objects —including two large vases, a large, heavy ottoman, and other pieces of furniture — from a 14th floor condominium balcony and nearly hit a man and his 22-month-old grandson, who were walking by the pool.

Scroll to continue with content
Ad

Brown’s attorneys filed a motion to dismiss one of the two lawsuits on Thursday, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, calling the claims “false, meritless and and a flagrant misinterpretation of the situation that occurred.”

Ophir Sternberg, the man behind the first lawsuit, said the objects fell within “a foot or two” of himself and his grandson. Per the initial report, security personnel determined that Brown threw the objects and that he was “extremely agitated, acting aggressively and yelling at security personnel.”

According to the Post-Gazette, Brown was “in a rage” over a missing $80,000 cash and a handgun. Sternberg is seeking more than $15,000 in damages.

The second lawsuit stemming from the incident was filed by the unit’s landlord, who said that Brown damaged the condo and did not pay for damages.

Brown denied these accusations on Thursday, and his attorneys said the lawsuit is “nothing more than a shameful attempt by a struggling real estate developer to exploit his minor child” and a “shakedown attempt.”

“It has now been made public that two lawsuits containing false claims have been filed against me,” Brown said in a statement to the Post-Gazette. “The facts will soon come out that prove my innocence. My focus will remain on football and I will not let the cases serve as a distraction.”

A NFL spokesperson told the Post-Gazette that the league will “continue to monitor” the situation.

Brown has 373 yards on 35 receptions and five touchdowns so far this season for the Steelers.

More from Yahoo Sports:
LeBron: ‘In order to win, your teams have to be great’
Heat star sues vet over his show dog’s neutering
Khabib threatens to leave UFC, forfeit paycheck
Exclusive: Pac-12 ruling raises major suspicion

What to Read Next