Alabama football coach Nick Saban returned to work on Wednesday, less than two days after he underwent hip replacement surgery.
The longtime Crimson Tide coach said the procedure was much less invasive than it used to be, but said that doctors told him there was nearly no cartilage left on his right hip — it was basically bone-on-bone.
Still, Saban got right back to business.
“I spent one night in the hospital, was home the next day and got some rest and came in today,” Saban told TideSports.com. “I’ve got a lot of work to do.”
Saban first revealed the hip injury at Alabama’s spring game last week, and said it started bothering him at the beginning of spring practice. The injury lingered throughout the spring, slowly getting worse.
The 67-year-old’s contract currently runs through 2025 at Alabama, which played a big part in why he wanted to solve any issue with his hip now. He didn’t want it lingering into the season this fall or to cut his career short.
He couldn’t drive himself into work on Wednesday, however, and said he still has some restrictions as he goes back to work and begins to rehab his hip.
“I had one day on the walker,” Saban told TideSports.com. “Now I’m on the cane. I’ll probably throw that [son of a b——] away tomorrow.
“Right now, they have me doing 10 different isometric exercises four times a day. We will continue that for three or four days and go from there.”
It’s not having to walk with a cane or the rehab itself that is the biggest issue for Saban, though.
It’s not being able to be on a golf course.
“I think in two weeks, I will be 100 percent,” he told TideSports.com. “They won’t let me play golf for six weeks for some reason, but I am going to try and get that reduced.”
More from Yahoo Sports: