Los Angeles Dodgers fans shouldn’t expect to see Vin Scully show up on the television broadcast of the National League Championship Series. Fox Sports broadcaster Joe Buck may have extended an invite to Scully, but the 90-year-old has declined that offer, according to the Los Angeles Times.
During Game 2 on Saturday, Buck and John Smoltz welcomed long-time Milwaukee Brewers announcer Bob Uecker into the booth for a chat about the team. Buck expressed a desire to do the same thing with Scully, but that’s not going to happen.
“I don’t want to just take a bow,” Scully told The Times. “I just don’t feel right doing that.”
Scully added that he didn’t want to hop into the booth after Buck and Smoltz had been together all season. He also said the two are “doing a wonderful job,” according to the Times.
From 1950 to 2016, Scully was the voice of the Dodgers. He retired following the 2016 season, and has mostly stayed out of the spotlight in his retirement. Scully did show up to throw out a first pitch during the World Series in 2017. He didn’t actually throw the pitch, though. He called on Fernando Valenzuela to take his place.
While the broadcast booth won’t work for Scully, he didn’t rule out a return to the ballpark. If the Dodgers defeat the Brewers and advance to the World Series again, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Scully at Dodger Stadium in some capacity before the season is over.
– – – – – – –
More from Yahoo Sports:
• 4 teams jump out in College Football Playoff race
• Sources: No Curry suspension after near altercation
• Pat Forde: Takeaways from chaos-filled day in college football
• Report: Hernandez was ‘sexually molested as a young boy’