November 30, 2011
Russian tennis star Maria Kirilenko has a new beau, two-time NHL most valuable player Alex Ovechkin.
The Washington Capitals superstar tweeted the news on Wednesday afternoon and included a picture of him and Maria acting all cuddly.
He wrote, "Me and my girlfriend Maria....she is my queen!!!!"
Related: See more pictures of Maria Kirilenko
The Montreal Gazette, one of the first newspapers to report on another cross-sport relationship between Caroline Wozniacki and Rory McIlroy, first pondered the rumored coupling earlier this week. Apparently Kirilenko has been spending part of her offseason in the Washington D.C. area helping out with the George Washington women's tennis team.
Some quick thoughts:
• Kirilenko has made it past the second round in seven of the last eight Grand Slams. Clearly, she's slumming it with Ovechkin, a guy who can't lead his team past the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
• Maria and Alex start dating. Alex's game goes in the tubes. Capitals coach Bruce Boudreau gets fired. Is Maria Kirilenko the Washington Capitals' Yoko Ono?
• What happened to Igor Andreev, Kirilenko's old flame? Did she Jennifer Aniston him? Say what you will about mid-level tennis players; at least that dude got to the semis of an occasional tourney.
• Ovechkin's shirt says "It's good to be the king." She's his queen. Wordplay!
More photos of Kirilenko, who finished the year ranked No. 28, after the jump.
Other popular stories on Yahoo! Sports:
• Why Anaheim Ducks' firing of Carlyle, hiring of Boudreau is a genius move
• Rasheed Wallace wears curious outfit to college hoops game
• LeBron James imitates Steve Johnson's imitation of Plaxico Burress