Colorado clinched another postseason spot with Saturday’s 8-1 home romp over Chicago. The Avalanche are six points behind Vancouver for the lead in the Northwest Division.
Alex Tanguay registered his first career hat trick and Peter Forsberg collected a career-high five assists against Chicago. Forberg’s career day came in his second game back from a charley horse. Goaltender Patrick Roy made 22 saves and reached 30 wins for the eighth straight season and the 13th time in his career.
Buffalo is 1-3-1-2 over its last seven contests and is coming off a 3-2 overtime loss at Toronto on Saturday. The Sabres wasted a two-goal lead and fell to 13-9-2 when leading through two periods. Buffalo’s nine losses when leading through 40 minutes are the most in the NHL.
Monday is the only meeting between the teams and first in Buffalo since December 7, 2001, when David Aebischer made 26 saves in 4-1 Colorado win.
Blog Coverage from SB Nation
- Romantic or insane: Marty Brodeur gets married again
- Penguins' Malkin to miss rest of week with lower-body injury
- Lundqvist makes 27 saves, Rangers win third in row
- Stone has 2 goals, assist and Sens beat Lightning 5-1
- Jets F Stafford suspended for 1 game for high-sticking
- Brodeur jersey festivities includes NJ photography program