Carolina built a 4-0 lead after one period on Monday and held on for a 6-5 victory over Columbus. Rookie Brad DeFauw scored twice and Craig Adams added a pair of goals and an assist for the Hurricanes, who last won three straight from November 29-December 3.
Goaltender Kevin Weekes failed in his bid for three straight shutouts and surrendered four goals in the third period. But DeFauw’s goal on the power play with just under three minutes remaining opened up a 6-4 lead.
Buffalo also is unbeaten in its last three games with a pair of wins and a tie. The Sabres held onto Miroslav Satan and defenseman Alexei Zhitnik past the trade deadline, but did deal Chris Gratton to Phoenix for Daniel Briere.
Mike Noronen made 27 saves and Ales Kotalik scored on the power play as Buffalo skated to a 1-1 tie with Tampa Bay on Sunday.
Sabres coach Lindy Ruff is still seeking his 211th victory with Buffalo, which would break Scotty Bowman’s club record.
The teams have split a pair of meetings this season. Weekes made 26 saves and Jeff O’Neill scored in a 2-0 victory for Carolina on November 7.
Blog Coverage from SB Nation
- Carolina (21-34-9-6) at Buffalo (21-32-9-6)
- Ovechkin hat trick gives Capitals 4-3 road win against Wild
- Eaves gets hat trick as Stars beat Blackhawks 4-2
- Umberger snaps 50-game scoreless drought, Flyers beat Sabres
- Bergeron scores twice and Bruins beat Jets 6-2
- Iginla scores twice, Avalanche beat Senators 4-3
- Carolina 3, Buffalo 2 (ot)
- McDavid, Eberle power Oilers past Maple Leafs 5-2
- Tavares, Greiss lead Islanders to 5-2 win over Kings
- Atkinson, Wennberg score in SO as Columbus beats Anaheim 4-3
- Hudler wins it for the Flames 6-5 over Sharks in shootout
- Maple Leafs' Kadri fined $5,000 for throat-slashing gesture