November 25, 2011
The NHL Thanksgiving Showdown will be played today ("Black Friday") on NBC between the Boston Bruins and the Detroit Red Wings, and it's the earliest an NHL regular season that a game has been shown on U.S. network television in more than 20 years. Which speaks quite highly of the NHL's previous television contracts.
Leahy's prediction: The broadcast opens with kids on a football field tossing around the pigskin, transitioning into kids on the ice playing hockey as Doc Emrick says something about there being "a new tradition."
Wyshynski's prediction: Emrick opens the broadcast by saying something like, "It's known as Black Friday here in the U.S., but today it's awash in Red and White and Black and Gold!"
Drink if you'd like for those instances. Otherwise, better stick to our unofficial NHL 'Thanksgiving Showdown' Drinking Game*!
Take one drink whenever …
- The words "Original Six" are uttered or shown on the screen.
- The words "Stanley Cup champions" are uttered or shown on the screen.
- The words "blue collar" are uttered.
- There's a reference to Thanksgiving leftovers.
- There's a reference to Black Friday shopping.
- Someone over-praises Pavel Datsyuk(notes), Nicklas Lidstrom(notes), Zdeno Chara(notes) and/or Tyler Seguin(notes).
- Pierre McGuire says "monster."
- Doc Emrick says "DRIVE!"
- They cut to a referee Kelly Sutherland "real audio/mic'd up" segment.
- Mike Milbury decries the state of physical play in the NHL.
Take two drinks whenever …
- They run an image or clip of the NHL Thanksgiving Day Parade float.
- There's a reference to Movember.
- Ed Olczyk says "active stick."
- Pierre McGuire says something that, ahem, could be taken the wrong way.
- Someone mentions Sidney Crosby(notes) during a game in which he isn't playing. (Bonus drink: It's Pierre McGuire.)
- Doc Emrick mentions something history-related about the origins of Thanksgiving as they relate to Boston.
- You're reminded when VERSUS becomes the NBC Sports Network.
- A Bruins player gets Niklas Kronwall'd.(notes)
- Liam McHugh calls them the Pittsburgh PANGuins.
- Either Bobby Orr or Gordie Howe are mentioned.
- There's a reference to the Vancouver Canucks and/or Roberto Luongo(notes).
- Mike Milbury decries something a non-Bruins player has done in the game.
Take three drinks whenever …
- There's an obscenity caught on a live mic.
- There's a reference to Ryan Miller(notes) calling Milan Lucic(notes) a P.O.S.
- There's a reference to the Bruins' bar tab at Foxwoods.
- The Minnesota Wild, currently leading the NHL in points, are mentioned.
- There's an advertisement for a terrible NBC sitcom instead of "Parks and Rec".
- The camera catches someone in the crowd wearing something holiday-related (pilgrim hat; Santa garb).
- Mike Milbury decries something a non-North American player has done this season.
- Brad Marchand(notes) is referred to as a honey badger.
- Mike Babcock smiles.
- The terrible ratings for Sidney Crosby's return on VERSUS are discussed.
- Matt Lauer calling them the Boston Brewers during the parade is played or mentioned.
- Mike Milbury cries. Like, openly weeping.
*(Ed. Note: Puck Daddy, of course, in no way endorses abuse of alcohol, consumption of alcohol by anyone under the legal drinking age in their region and, without a doubt, the operation of an automobile or any machine while under the influence of alcohol. These games are listed for entertainment purposes and we don't take responsibility for any result of their application. To sum it up, don't be a knucklehead and have fun!)