January 17, 2011
There are five reasons we're rather enamored with this video of Kevin Colley, head coach of the ECHL's Utah Grizzlies, going bonkers on the bench Saturday night in a game against the Stockton Thunder.
1. Colley reached his breaking point with referee Rick Looker after he officiated back-to-back games between the Grizzlies and the Thunder. Game 1 on Friday night saw five fights and 76 combined penalty minutes; Game 2 on Saturday saw 149 total penalty minutes at Maverik Center in West Valley City, with the home-team Grizzlies getting 83 of them. (Looker was also once the target of angry Latvian fans who threw coins at him during a IIHF World Championship game against Canada.)
2. That Colley's tie was halfway undone, pulled over to the right so far that it's looking like a suspender.
3. The moment about 30 seconds in when the equipment guys on the bench attempt to take the stack of sticks away from Colley before he could throw more on the ice, only to have the coach relocate them and chuck some more.
4. That Kevin Colley is also the team's director of hockey operations. And nothing says "level-headed executive" like some dude tossing lumber like he's in a strongman competition on ESPN2. Also, that Kevin Colley played for the New York Islanders in 2005-06, earning 52 penalty minutes in 16 games; and once played for the Atlantic City Boardwalk Bullies as well.
5. That Jim Playfair's place as the "Citizen Kane" of recent minor league coaching freakouts remains secure.
OK, one more great thing: The teams play again Monday night. Next time, use the bench, Kev.