May 12, 2008
Several reasons the photo above from Kevin Smith's upcoming "Zack and Miri Make a Porno" inspires both comedic confidence and puckhead/fanboy glee:
• Kevin Smith continues to establish his cred as Hollywood's most adamant and humorous hockey fan. Not only does he continue to pump the puck into his films, but we're still in awe of his brilliant-but-short-lived NHL.com hockey blog; the one on which he suggested women withhold sex from New York Rangers fans who partake in "rampant hate-speech."
• Seth Rogen, who stars in "Zack and Miri" with Elizabeth Banks, is sharing the box with none other than Jeff Anderson, a.k.a. Randal from "Clerks." For a brief moment, we consider the incredible game of "You know how I know you're gay?" that could take place between the star of "Knocked Up" and the man who spread the joys of Hermaphroditic porn and the "salsa shark" in Silent Bob's 1994 classic.
• You'll notice the name of the team is the "Monroeville Zombies," which is a rather fabulous George Romero reference: "Dawn of the Dead" was filmed inside the Monroeville Mall, and it's still the site of the occasional "Zombie Fest," which features a zombie walk, zombie dances and some enlightening zombie book discussions.
• The team's logo appears to be a shout-out to "Shaun of the Dead," as Smith's an unabashed fan of Edgar Wright and Simon Pegg.
• Finally, let's celebrate the fact that even though hockey may not play a central role in the film's plot, Kevin Smith isn't running away from our beloved sport like some other filmmakers appear to be with their upcoming summer comedies.