December 07, 2011
Here are your Puck Previews: Spotlighting the key games in NHL action, news and views as well as general frivolity. Make sure to stop back here for the nightly Three Stars when the games are finished.
Preview: Washington Capitals at Ottawa Senators, 7 p.m. ET. The Capitals have only one win in four games under new head coach Dale Hunter with that victory coming against the Senators. Good thing for Washington is that they've played well against Ottawa this season in their two victories over the Sens and so have their goaltenders. Alex Semin will be a game-time decision with a shoulder injury.
Preview: Philadelphia Flyers at Buffalo Sabres, 7:30 p.m. ET. Leading the NHL in points away from home with 19, the Flyers visit the First Niagara Center and will get a lineup boost with the return of James van Riemsdyk(notes), who will be back after missing four games. The Sabres have struggled at home winning once in their last six.
Preview: Carolina Hurricanes at Edmonton Oilers, 9:30 p.m. ET. Carolina is still looking for their first win under the reign of Kirk Muller and are 2-7-1 in their last 10 games. After last night's wild 7-6 loss to the Calgary Flames, the Hurricanes face an Oiler team that hasn't played since Saturday and are looking to improve on holding leads during games.
• No, there isn't a goaltending controversy brewing in Chicago between Ray Emery(notes) and Corey Crawford(notes). Emery will start for the second time in three games Thursday night against the New York Islanders, but hold your horses on thinking Crawford's not the guy says Coach Q: "If you look at all the teams in the league, every goalie that wasn't a starter gets a chance to get a couple of games in a row and sometimes even more. In the course of the season you're going to see some things where the other guy gets multiple starts." [Chicago Tribune]
• We brought you this before, but now it's back up for auction yet again: Mario Lemieux's 1990 NHL All-Star Game uniform right down to the pants and socks he wore during his 4-goal, MVP performance at Civic Arena. [Lelands]
• Who are the top defensive defensemen so far this season? [Eye on Hockey]
• If you're booking singer Michael Buble for your arena, you better have a hockey puck from the local team in his dressing room. [CTV]
• Former NHLer David Emma is now a financial planner helping current hockey players and golfers. [Wall Street Journal]
Puck Buddy Comment of the Day: "Matt" on today's post from "The Player" on the visor debate:
"Players have the right to choose. I think they should have to wear one. Look at Pronger and how long he has been in the league. One errant stick and he decided its time to protect himself and his future. If you think its a disadvantage to wear a visor look at players like Stamkos,Crosby, Datsyuk, Ovevechkin [sic] and many others they choose to wear a visor, got use to it and play very well. But in the end the player has to make the choice after all its his own life and future."
Bold Prediction: Edmonton keeps Kirk Muller winless with a 3-1 win. Two goals for The Nuge.