Fri Jan 15 02:39pm EST
Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• OK, this is a strange one, but here goes: Kiefer Sutherland went on Letterman the other night wearing a dress. Puck Buddy Colleen sent over the video, and Jack Bauer clearly says in the interview that he's wearing the dress after having lost an NFL playoff bet to "Dave Andreychuk." Yep. We obviously wanted some confirmation here that it was in fact the
NHL Hall of Famer, so we reached out to former NHL defenseman Stan Neckar, whom you'll remember was a teammate and business partner with Andreychuk in Tampa Bay. His response, for what it's worth: "I did pass your email on to Dave when I received it yesterday and I also spoke to him, not sure if he responded to you but it wasn't him who made the bet. Although Dave (hockey) does know the Dave in question." So there you go. Somehow, we'd like to blame this all on Leno. [Buffalo News]
• Bobby Ryan's(notes) hit on Oscar Moller(notes) of the Los Angeles Kings may take a spin on the NHL Wheel of Justice if the Kings get their way. Check out the video at the end of this Headlines post for more. [Ducks Blog, and the hit plus video reaction from Kings]
• Great stuff by SI's Michael Farber in an Olympic hockey preview: "The Sweden-Finland replay of the '06 gold-medal game (Feb. 21) always devolves into stereotypes -- not to get crude here, but basically the Swedes think the Finns are tipplers and the Finns think the Swedes are wusses -- but the hockey world most eagerly awaits a grudge match, in the knockout round, between historic foes Russian and Canada." [SI]
• Why the "Marry Me Sidney" girl in the wedding dress is an affront to female hockey fans. [Pens Universe]
• Attention: Jersey Fouls are coming up this afternoon. It's quite a collection.
• Mike Danton will have to wait at least another two weeks before he's allowed to play college hockey. [CP]
• Must-read: Justin Bourne on the ref/player relationship on the ice. [THN]
• St. Louis Game Time pens an open letter for St. Louis Blues interim head coach Davis Payne: "Evolve, out-think, motivate, win. Do these things and we'll gladly rename this place from the DrinkScotch to the House of Payne. If you can succeed it'll be more than a cute turn of phrase, it'll be a message to your players and a warning to your visitors. We hope it happens." [Game Time]
• Speaking of the Oilers, The Copper & Blue did some sleuthing on the potential AHL franchise in Oklahoma City for Edmonton and found a few URLs that have possible names for the team. Oil Barons? [Copper & Blue]