Tue Jun 28 04:58pm EDT
Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Terrific post by Erik Erlendsson about the Steven Stamkos(notes) negotiations with the Tampa Bay Lightning and where they stand: "I don't believe an offer sheet is going to come, even if Stamkos gets to July 1. And judging from plenty of conversations and readings from around the hockey world, I'm not convinced it will even be an issue. Yzerman continues to use the word optimistic whenever the subject of Stamkos is brought up in interviews." [Bolts Report]
• An open letter to Steve Yzerman from a Tampa Bay fan. "Mr. Yzerman, you can't let this happen. We've been through this thing before - losing a stud, fan favorite center to another team - with Brad Richards(notes), and I don't have to tell you that if it happens again now, the Lightning will never, ever, ever, ever, ever get close to playing for the Stanley Cup again. Ever." [Raw Charge]
• Vancouver Canucks defenseman Christian Ehrhoff(notes) is going to market and could have his negotiating rights traded before Friday. "Sources say Ehrhoff was offered the same deal Bieksa received and accepted this week. Bieksa signed a new five-year, $23 million contract that includes a no-trade clause." [TSN]
• Sean Avery(notes) calls on the NHL to get involved in the gay marriage debate: "It would be great for the NHL to take the lead among professional sports leagues in terms of social equality and justice and be out front and progressive regarding issues like this." [NY Post]
• Remember agents Don and Todd Reynolds, whose agency criticized Avery's pro-marriage equality stances on Twitter? Andrew Brunette(notes) has reportedly dropped them because of it. [Hockey Wilderness]
• The official message from the Phoenix Coyotes on yesterday's news that Matthew Hulsizer is out of the picture: "The City of Glendale and the National Hockey League continue to negotiate with other interested parties to secure new ownership for the Phoenix Coyotes. The objective continues to be to transition ownership of the Club to an interested purchaser in the coming months."
• Greg Esposito on the city of Glendale: "As they continue to longingly gaze at 'Mr. Perfect', Jerry Reinsdorf, who seems to just enjoy their attention while continuing to string them along and with a mystery suitor emerging, they're now back at square one." [ArizonaSports.com]
• The top 10 free-agent busts since the lockout. [Senshot]
• Provocative piece from Derek Zona about the NHL Awards voting process, in the sense that we'll never know which writer decided to leave Jeff Skinner(notes) off his or her Calder ballot. [Copper & Blue]
• Finally, really good stuff from Hockey Broad chronicling Gary Bettman's chat with fans at the Minnesota Wild FanFest. Here's the commissioner on realignment and home-and-away jerseys. Check out all the videos of the chat here.