Tue Dec 28 03:58pm EST
Here are your Puck Headlines: a glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• You know, it could get a little chilly at the Winter Classic if it isn't a rainy autumn-like day. So please stock up on your official Sidney Crosby(notes) lip-balm, hand-crafted for faces with 24 games of point-streak 'stache. Boy, we're stumped over who might be in the need for Sidney Crosby chapstick ... any suggestions? [Post Gazette, via Colligan]
• Speaking of the Pittsburgh Penguins: Marc-Andre Fleury(notes) overtakes Carey Price(notes) for the lead in goalie All-Star Game balloting. Crosby, Evgeni Malkin(notes), Jonathan Toews(notes), Kris Letang(notes) and Duncan Keith(notes) are your other leaders. [NHL]
• New Jersey Devils forward Brian Rolston(notes) is sent down to the AHL so he can be placed on re-entry waivers, and Martin Brodeur(notes) assesses the reality of his surroundings: "I'm not sure what the cap situation is. I'm not sure if it will affect it for us to move forward. When you're not doing well, people will move around because we're a proud organization and (Lamoriello) is going to try to do the right things to get back on track. He's the guy navigating that ship." [NJ.com]
• The only way this story about Patrik Elias(notes) and Travis Zajac(notes) getting snowed in and sleeping in Elias' car overnight could be any better is if it was a reenactment of the "Pine Barrens" episode of "The Sopranos," with Ilya Kovalchuk(notes) as the Russian. "I had a pack of peanuts and it lasted me eight hours," said Zajac. Wait, isn't that the story of Hanukkah? [NorthJersey.com]
• What's the best division in the NHL this season? Hint: Not the one with Albertan teams. [From The Rink]
• Interesting take on last night's Columbus Blue Jackets fans vs. Paul Devorski controversy from Craig Layne, who sees both sides of the issue. "If the Jackets were being given the same treatment and respect from the officials as the opposing team, I would probably laugh it off. But the complete disrespect being given to the Jackets from the officials lately is absurd, and taunting the fans isn't helping matters." [Fire the Cannon]
• "As of 1 p.m., the Blue Jackets have not been contacted by the league regarding the incident between NHL referee Paul Devorski and fans in Nationwide Arena during the third period of Monday's game against the Wild." [Puck-Rakers]
• Down Goes Brown on World Juniors. The "Bad" about the Russians: "Many players have spent their entire lives in places like Siberia, and may have a difficult time adjusting to the harsher living conditions of Buffalo." [DGB]
• Dobber's 18 statistical anomalies in fantasy hockey this season, including Jeff Tambellini(notes): "Tambellini's currently firing at a rate of 20 percent, but his career shooting percentage is just 9.5 percent, so expect a bit of a dip moving forward. He has spent 64.7 percent of his overall ice-time lining up alongside Ryan Kesler(notes), so the quality of line mates might have influenced his numbers this season. Expect roughly a 15 percent efficiency rate by season's end." [Dobber Hockey]
• Finally, eat your heart out Stompin' Tom Connors.