August 10, 2008
Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• NHLPA Executive Director Paul Kelly will visit all 30 NHL teams this fall and take the players' pulse on re-opening the CBA next year. "We are not anxious to re-visit what happened a few years ago ... we would be asking: 'Has the CBA worked for the players?' In some areas it has (a rising salary cap was cited), but there are some areas where it could be improved." So is this where the players ask for their cut of potential expansion money? [Sun Media]
• Larry Brooks also has some Sundin chatter about the New York Rangers, but more importantly has a chat with Tim Leiweke of the Los Angeles Kings, who claims that loan given to Boots Del Biaggio that helped him join Nashville Predators ownership was meant so AEG could eventually get management rights to the Sommet Center -- not as part of some Trojan Horse scheme to relocate the team to Kansas City. Uh-huh. [NY Post]
• Indy Car racing fans are none too pleased about joining the Versus family. [Eye on the Media]
• Sources claim the New York Islanders coaching search is down to three candidates: Former Atlanta Thrashers coach Bob Hartley, former Leafs coach Paul Maurice and current AHL Providence Bruins coach Scott Gordon, who's picking up steam. [Newsday]
• On the heels of our extraordinarily well-received (uh ... yeah) post about the Gretzky Trade and the Detroit Red Wings, historian Joe Pelletier offers a glimpse at what the Vancouver Canucks would have offered for the Great One. And it starts with Trevor Linden. [Greatest Hockey Legends]
• The Pensblog unleashes "The Wayne Gretzky Sucks Photoshop Expo" on an unsuspecting public. Commence head-bleeding! [Pensblog]
• Speaking of Gretzky, how the trade announcement 20 years ago nearly got one writer run over by an 18-wheeler. [Inside the Kings]
• One more Gretzky remembrance, from Rudy Kelly: "I know he desperately wanted to shut up the people who were saying he had lost a step, or that Doug Gilmour was better than him, even the people that had accused him of betraying his Canadian-ness by defecting to Los Angeles. And he did." [BoC]
• Looking at the best hockey movies of all-time. "Slap Shot" free? Yikes. [Part Filmography]
• Eddy the Kitten presents "wine cork hockey." It's as cute as it sounds. Unless you're a dog-lover. Or a kitten hater. [Edward]
• Finally, the Islanders present their 2008-09 Ice Girls: "Returning members include Samantha, Valerie, Brittany, Sasha, Sage, Kelly, Kristy, Chanel, and Kelli; while Danielle, Lauren and Darci will make their Ice Girls debuts in October." Yup ... they've hired the girls to shovel the ice shavings before they hired the head coach. Yikes.