Wed Oct 14 02:11pm EDT
Here are your Puck Headlines: A glorious collection of news and views collected from the greatest blogosphere in sports and the few, the proud, the mainstream hockey media.
• Just in case you weren't sold on the Chicago Blackhawks positioning themselves as the Western Conference Pittsburgh Penguins, here comes the Hawks' answer to the Pens/Steelers synergy in the Steel City: "Crosstown Supporters" commercials featuring the Blackhawks and the Chicago Bears; i.e., Patrick Kane(notes) "shooting footballs" to Devin Hester. The Hawks approached the Bears with the idea; the Bears agreed, saying that it helps show a lighter side to its players. [Chicago Tribune]
• Jersey Fouls on Thursday. Woot.
• The fact that Antti Niemi(notes) gets the call against the Oilers tonight speaks volumes about the team's confidence in Cristobal Huet(notes). What a slap in the face to deprive him of a mano y mano showdown with Khabibulin. [Trib]
• Good news on Thomas Vanek's(notes) injury, as WGR reports he could be back with the Buffalo Sabres within the week. (H/T to Bryan for the news.) Coach Lindy Ruff got wonderfully delusional about losing Vanek to injury last night: "It's tough but we've got extra players." And if the NHL allows you to play off of them in place of Vanek, the Sabres won't skip a beat. [Buffalo News]
• Former NHL player Sheldon Kennedy urges Theo Fleury(notes) to make a formal complaint against former junior coach Graham James, whom Fleury claims sexually abused him in the 1980s as he did Kennedy. Fleury tells the Calgary Herald that he has "a team of people" looking into making a formal charge, but that no decision has been made yet. [CBC Sports]
• Pierre LeBrun goes one-on-one with Brian Burke to try and figure this mess out. Burke on the GMs calling him: "I haven't got anything but anchors thrown at me. We're not in a hurry. If I didn't think this group could get the job done, I'd be more concerned. But I believe in the group." [ESPN]
• When we lost Wayne Gretzky has a coach, we lost the greatest facial contortionist behind an NHL bench. Mike Chen attempts to find the Heir to the Scowl. [Chen]
• Ryan Kennedy with a good question at the end of his column: Where are the fan base borders for your NHL team? For example, Jersey goes north to south from Rangers fans to a Rangers/Devils mix to a Flyers/Devils mix to Flyers fans. [THN]
• Razor with this advice to shootout participants at center ice and in goal. "Do a tight fly-by the opposing teams bench with a cock-sure grin on your face (add a verbal or physical taunt if your name is Ribeiro or Kovalchuk) then glove punch glide along your own bench." [Razor With An Edge]
• We post this image from WWE Smackdown for two reasons. First, to repeat the question asked by Puck Buddy C.P.: "Is this Bruce Boudreau or Michael Chiklis?" More importantly, R.I.P. Capt. Lou Albano. Often Imitated, Never Duplicated.
• Atlanta Thrashers GM Don Waddell doesn't close the door on Chris Chelios(notes) playing for his squad, and said he isn't concerned the Cheli is taking minutes from kids with their AHL affiliate the Chicago Wolves. [Snapshots]
• Dave "The Hammer" Schultz will become the 20th player inducted into the Philadelphia Flyers Hall of Fame. Which means there were actually 19 people more synonymous with the Flyers organization than Dave Schultz ... seriously? [Philly.com]
• Please to be welcoming Anaheim Calling to the SB Nation collective. [Anaheim Calling]
• Enjoyed Two-Line's list of things that would make the Toronto Maple Leafs' current situation even worse: "It turns out Brian Burke green-lighted that sequel to 'Cars' while the Ducks were still owned by Disney." [Two-Line Pass]
• Finally, it's been too long: Steve Dangle on the Leafs' struggles.